This is a recipe in progress. Things may change drastically while I get things worked out. Try at
your own risk. This is a Gluten-free version of my favorite Yeast Naan recipe. I found the original
wheat flour version in a book called "Let's Eat Indian at Home" ( Gupta, Lal & Singh). This recipe is Gluten-free and contains no
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 3 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/3 cups white rice flour, 2/3 & 2/9 cups potato starch, 1/3 & 1/9 cups tapicoa flour, 2 teaspoons
xanthum gum ( substitution for 4 cups plain flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups natural yoghurt
- Mix the yeast, water and sugar and leave stand until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Mix the flours, salt, vegetable oil and eggs. Add the yeast mixture and mix thoroughly. Add enough
yoghurt to make a soft, elastic dough (start with 4 heaping tablespoons, or 6 for wheat flour) and knead
well. Cover and leave in a warm place to rise for about 6 hours or until the dough has doubled in
- Knead again and leave to stand for 10 minutes
- Divide the dough into about 12 pieces and roll each one out to a circle about the size of your palm.
- Arrange the naans on greased (optional) baking sheets and bake in a preheated oven at 425F for about 10
minutes until they are puffy and just beginning to turn brown. Serve hot.
- None yet, the base version is still being tweaked.