This makes a tasty root vegetable curry. The challenge is to cut the different components and time their additions so that they all get done, but none get overdone.
The secondary challenge is to provide enough water for everything to cook without making a soup.
This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and contains no preservatives.
- 1 - 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 inch ginger diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp chili powder (ancho)
- 1 parsnip, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 or 5 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 turnip, cut into large cubes
- 2 small hot red peppers, diced
- 1 bananna pepper, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- whole green beans
- heat oil in heavy based very large pan or pot over medium heat
- fry cumin and mustard seeds for 1 minute or until cumin begins to brown
- Add garlic and ginger and fry until garlic turns golden
- Add dry spices, stir, and cook for a further minute
- Add parsnip and enough water to cover and cook covered for 3 minutes
- Add potatoes and enough water to cover and cook covered for an addition 5 minutes
- Add turnip and enough water to cover cook covered for an additional 10 minutes
- Add peppers, carrots, and green beans. If necessary add more water to just barely cover.
- Cook uncovered until all components are cooked through and liquid is reduced.
- Next time double the cumin, mustard seeds, garlic and ginger to see if that gives the base sauce more
- Radishes might be a welcome addition to the flavor.