This is a basic Indian lentil recipe. It is mild and could be served as a side or a vegan main dish. This recipe is Gluten-free and contains no preservatives.
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, soaked for 1 hour
- pinch of tumeric
- 12 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger root, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 8 oz canned tomatoes, chopped (or tomatoe sauce)
- Place the lentils, tumeric, and water in a pan, bring to boil and skim off any scum.
- Simmer over a medium heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat the ghee in a heavybased pan and fry the cumin seeds until brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, fenugreek,chilli, garam masala, and tomatoes.
- Fry until all the water has been absorbed and the ghee appears on the top.
- Stir in the cooked dal and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) and serve
- If you like onions, add one medium onion chopped