Lentil Chutney #1
This is an easy chutney recipe from "The Classic 1000 Indian Recipes", Wendy Hobson editor. The
red lentils and coconut provide a great contrast. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and contains no
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/3 cup red lentils, washed
- 3 dried red chillies
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 4 tbsp shredded coconut
- Heat the oil and fry the lentils, chillies, and asafoetida for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut and salt to taste.
- Grind evertying to a fine paste
- After adding the coconut I continue to cook the mixture until some of the coconut browns
- I grind the mixture in mortar and pestle, so it still has large crunchy bits, this gives some
variety that was well received.