This is a basic lamb curry recipe that I got from "The Classic 1000 Indian Recipes", Wendy Hobson editor. This recipe was the primary from scratch curry we cooked for quite a while.
- 5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped (I omit these)
- 2 inch ginger root, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2lb boned lamb, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground roasted cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red chilli
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Heat the ghee or oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the fenugreek and cumin seeds until they are
- Add the garlic, onions, ginger and whole spices until golden.
- Add the meat and fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground spices, salt, and 3 tablespoons of water and fry until the water has been absorbed
and the ghee appears on the surface.
- Add the remaining water, bring to a boil then cook over a medium-low heat for 20 minutes until the meat
is tender, stirring occasionally