Fried Garlic Chutney
This is a garlic chutney that I got from Copeland Marks' Indian & Chinese Cooking from the Himalayan Rim. It has a very distinctive
flavor and will give you a case of garlic breath that you (and those around you) will enjoy for some time. A very little bit can be used to flavor a
large amount of rice. It is Gluten-Free and contains no preservatives.
- 1/2 cup cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon cuminseed
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 1/8 teaspoon hing (asafoetida) (optional)
- Prepare the garlic either by dicing or pressing into a paste
- Mix in the water, chili powder, salt, and coriander.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a small skillet on low heat.
- Add the cumin, mustard, hing and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the garlic paste and stir-fry on medium heat for 2 minutes, or until the garlic begins to turn
- Remove from heat and store in refrigerator in a jar with a tight cover.
- Serve as a condiment.