Dry Beef Curry
This recipe comes from "The Classic 1000 Indian Recipes", Wendy Hobson editor. It produces and
interesting mild curry. This recipe is gluten-free and has no preservatives.
- 2lb lean stewing beef, cubed
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1/4 in fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Basic Curry Powder (2 parts coriander,2 parts cumin seed, 2 parts turmeric, 1 part
red chilli powder, roasted in pan for 4-5 minutes)
- 1 tbsp desiccated (shredded) coconut
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Mix the meat, turmeric, and cidar vinegar and leave to stand for 10 minutes
- Heat the oil and fry the garlic, chilli and ginger over a medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add the curry powder and coconut and fry for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oil
rises to the surface.
- Stir in the meat mixture, salt and tomato and fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes
- Transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and the lid and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for
- Reduce the heat to 300F and bake for a further 15 minutes
- Serve hot with rice or chapatis, a vegetable dish and salad