Potatoes with Red Chillies
When they invented the game pass the hot potato this was what inspired it. These potatoes are hot and tasty. I got this recipe from "Indian:
deliciously authentic dishes" by Shehzad Husain & Rafi Fernandez. Other than the modifications listed, it follows their original. This dish is
Gluten-free and contains no preservatives.
- 12-14 baby potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed dried red chillies
- 1/2 tsp white cumin seeds (I use regular cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (I skimp on this and almost bring it down to 1/4)
- 1/2 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp salt (I use 1/2 tsp)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (I omit)
- 1-4 fresh red chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft but still firm. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a deep frying pan, heat the oil, then turn down to medium.
- Add the crushed chillies, cumin, fennel, coriander, and salt and fry for 30-40 seconds.
- Add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown.
- Add the potatoes, red chillies and coriander
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes over very low heat. Serve hot.
- If desired, this dish can be kept ready by keeping it covered over a very low heat and stirring every
10 minutes or so.