Basic Barbeque Sauce
This is a base sauce for any number of various barbeque sauce flavors. Start with this and add the spicing to make a flavor. The number of ingredients makes for a deep taste and the levels are intended for balanced flavor. Try increasing one or another to make a particular flavor stand out.
I created this recipe from scratch one afternoon. Amazingly, the proportions came out well the first time and didn't require repeated tweaking.
This recipe is Gluten-Free and does not contain preservatives.
- 16oz of tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cardammon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds, ground
- Mix together ingredients and simmer. For more tang simmer for an extended period of time, for less tang just warm
- Add more garlic, honey, mustard for sauces featuring those flavors particularly.
- I have thought of trying to add some tamarind concentrate, but it would have to be a very small amount.